Tuesday, January 26, 2016

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up - Another Perspective

January 25, 2016


Book Review: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
by- Marie Kondo


Submitted by: Diane Harrigan


I’m not sure if I’m breaking the rules, but I actually listened to this book on Audible, while “tyding up” not really, I was folding laundry. Podcasts & audio-books are my favorite things to listen to while doing housework.


I was anxious to read this book as it had received so much publicity. I really like the idea of a minimalist lifestyle. However, 3 children and many pets later our home has become quite cluttered. I love organizational books. I love the definition of STUFF by another author Marla Cilley, better known as “Flylady,” Steals Time Used For Fun. I’m afraid I still have Mr. Trombley’s Peter Walsh books. Enough rambling, back to the book at hand.


The author spent a great deal of her young life organizing. I believe she finally realized having less is more. She states most people want you to declutter a little at a time, however this system usually fails, because they never get to experience living without all of their “stuff.” She also states once you start living this way, you will like it so much, you will never let your life become cluttered again. She also believes you should store like items together, or you forget all about them. For example, don’t store season clothes, keep them in your closet or you’ll forget you have them. Like many minimalists, she believe you should only keep things that bring you joy. Sort through all like items at the same time. So, gather your clothes from coat closets the cellar, attic, etc. because you’re only going to sort through them once.

I found it a bit odd, thanking my clothes, etc. for their service before I blessed someone else with them. Overall, I think the book had some very valuable point & would recommend it. However, why not borrow it from the library so it doesn’t clutter up your house :)

No comments:

Post a Comment